Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Parable of the Garden

To be quite honest, most of the works in this exhibit were not ones of much interest to me.  But, because I had to choose a piece to talk about, I suppose it will be "Happy Meal", by Shahram Entekhabi.  In the video we see a young Iranian girl in traditional garb eating what I, and I'm sure many others consider, an American meal.  Though McDonald's is a world wide fast food chain, I tend to associate it with American culture.  In viewing this piece however, that thought quickly diminished as I came to realize that though all nations have their own traditions and cultural norms, at one point or another we all engage in similar activities.  This video showed me that ethnicity doesn't always define what you enjoy or things you do.  The cute little girl enjoyed her Happy Meal just as any other child would have.

No comments: